Sunday, February 28, 2010

hmmmm.....

I would agree with what the other postings have said thus far, race is something that humans have created. Because it is something that has been created, answering this question is very difficult. Separation of so called races can be distinguished by geographical location, dialect, appearance, history, nationality, as well as other characteristics. However, based on the reading and the video we watched in class, we all originated in the same place, therefore we are all linked, therefore we are all the same race? I could say that race is cultural, and that to define race, we must define culture, but I feel that I cannot do that. There are different cultures in Kenya, so for the sake of this posting, I am going to say yes, yes there are different races in Kenya, because there are different cultures. However, going back to what I said before, race is a creation by man, and my thought process is just a giant circle. To answer this question properly with full confidence behind it, I would have to be firm in my definition of race as well as culture, I do not have a firm definition of either.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I agree--it all comes down to defining "race." So what does that words mean to you? (When you use it in a sentence, what are you referring to?)