Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's our turn to eat

Michela Wrong's description of corruption in Kenya is really interesting and I have found my personal point of view waiver back and forth as I continue to read on. I think the root question is; does power corrupt, and to what extent can a person resist that? Does accepting a "favor" even just one make you corrupt or a player in the larger corruption game? These are all very intriguing questions and I still have no idea where I stand on the issue because I often go back and forth between my beliefs and ideas on certain subjects. When it comes to Koigi taking the land, I am not sure, I think I need to learn a little more about who's land it was before (in terms of ethnic groups ect) and what his salary was. Did he legitimately need that land. In the book he makes a good argument for it and I like to believe that he had very good intentions so initially no I do not think that taking the land makes him corrupt. The fact that he questions if it would make him corrupt and also references another woman who he admired who refused land from Moi shows that he really contemplated the effect of accepting the land. However, in my personal experience if I do something once that I do not necessarily want to do for ethical or moral reasons (example: eating ice cream or dairy) it makes it easier to do it again than if I just put my foot down and say no I will not do this at all. But if I have ice cream one night then I am more likely to just have it again another night. This could just be a personal thing because I tend to go to different extremes a lot but if I were in Koigis position and took the land I wouldn't have a lot to stop me from taking other favors where as if I just rejected it from the beginning it would be easier to resits that temptation.

No comments: